Wheat and Gluten Allergy: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis & Precautions
Allergy is a common disease that we are either facing or have faced. As in general language, when our body feels extra sensitive towards anything, it reacts strongly. This condition is called reaction or allergy.
The different human body reacts differently to the same substance. For example, if you love to eat wheat and gluten-related products like bread, pasta, and cereals, etc., but after eating such products, you feel skin rashes, itching, hives or other abnormalities, then it’s the sign that you are allergic to wheat and gluten.
Symptoms of Wheat and Gluten Allergy:
There cannot be a single symptom of allergies, as it depends on person to person as for how a specific body reacts to a specific allergy. However here is the list of some common symptoms of wheat and gluten allergy:
- Stomach Pain
- Breathing problem and suffocation
- Running Nose
- Swollen skin
- Anaphylaxis, (this is fatal as if some have symptoms of Anaphylaxis, it can cause high heartbeat, severe chest pain, breathing problem, swallowing throat, change in skin color to blue or other life-threatening effects).
Sometimes, Asthma or eczema can be the symptoms of wheat and gluten allergy.
Causes of Wheat and Gluten Allergy:
The reason why a specific body reacts strongly against one substance and act normal against other substances is not known yet. But some of the reasons for allergies that medical science has identified are:
- Family history, and
- Low immunity power
Foods That Contains Wheat and Gluten:
There are numerous foods that contain wheat and gluten that one needs to avoid when affected by the allergy of such products.
- Wheat and wheat flour
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable protein (hydrolyzed)
- Cakes and Muffins
- Ice-cream with cake
- Crackers, etc.
How to Know if Your Child Is Allergic to Wheat and Gluten (Diagnosis):
Usually, the best method to diagnose Wheat and gluten allergy is the elimination method, where patients need to eliminate items having gluten and check for allergies. The second is blood and stool test for allergy intolerance like a cell-mediated test, Skin prick test, lymphocyte activation test, etc that are done in laboratories.
Precautions for Wheat and Gluten Allergy:
- The Most Important Is to Consult Your Doctor Immediately. It is possible that the level of allergy is fatal and you might be in need of immediate medical help.
- Check Before You Buy. If you are already diagnosed with wheat and gluten allergy, you must be careful while shopping for labeled food. Check ingredients and if gluten is present, do not buy that food item.
- Be cautious before eating, especially if that food is not cooked in your own kitchen. It may contain gluten.
- Try alternatives to wheat and gluten products such as gram flour, corn flour, Soy Flour etc. to satisfy your taste buds.
Wheat or gluten allergy has no specific medical treatment rather than having balanced diet. It is advised to the wheat-allergic to avoid wheat products and prefer gluten-free products, exercise daily and increase your immune system. It is a notable fact that if someone is allergic to wheat, it doesn’t mean one cannot eat other gluten products. Sometimes the level of allergy is very low, so actually, the precautions can be different for individuals.
Though digital marketing (especially SEO) is my forte, my passion for writing together with my habit of reading anything and everything about Health and Wellness gave birth to Wellness Rediscover blog covering all the important sections of Health niche.
Latest posts by Rohit Kishore (see all)
- सिर्फ 1 महीने में मोटी तोंद कम करके पतली कमर पाएं इन आसान कसरतों के द्वारा - July 8, 2019
- 5 Health Benefits of Coffee, Based on Science - June 16, 2018
- Wheat and Gluten Allergy: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis & Precautions - February 5, 2018